Obtaining volume from one mesh object

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obtaining volume from one mesh object

Hi, So I've been stumped and have been trying to think about a solution for this problem.

Suppose you have 2 hollow spheres, an outer sphere with a radius of 4 and inner sphere with a radius of 2. Though this example is relatively easy, I am looking to extend this to a general case. I am working with CAD and STL files, which are being stored as a series of Triangles and points, but I am struggling on figuring out on how to extract this volume.

Is there some way to create a region growing algorithm for this type of problem?

Thank you
    - M

Originally posted by msetegn View Post
    Suppose you have 2 hollow spheres, an outer sphere with a radius of 4 and inner sphere with a radius of 2. Though this example is relatively easy, I am looking to extend this to a general case. I am working with CAD and STL files, which are being stored as a series of Triangles and points, but I am struggling on figuring out on how to extract this volume.
    What does it mean to "extract this volume" ?
    I guess that you want to create a space filling mesh, e.g. a tetrahedron mesh, bounded by your two spheres. That's a computational geometry problem outside the scope of Open Inventor. But there are toolkits available for that sort of thing. For example, you might take a look at CGAL.

Comment

Working...
    X