Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-planar slice with SoVolumeIndexedFaceSet

Hello!

I'd like to know how can I create a non-planar slice with a SoVolumeIndexedFaceSet node. I already have a 3D scene which loads a SoVolumeData combined with SoVolumeRender, and also a SoLineSet node which contains the coordinates that I want to use for extract the non-planar slice and create a new 2D visualization.

Thanks!

Hi,
    Creating a non-planar slice in 3D, using SoVolumeIndexed, is straightforward in concept. We want to use the coordinates in the SoLineSet to create the coordinates for a "ribbon" surface. A sort of simple "extrusion" operation. Choose the width of the ribbon "w". Each point in the polyline defines two points of the ribbon. For example, each point generates two points where the X coordinates are +w/2 and -w/2.
    This is very simplified of course. It's not completely clear how to choose "w" or the plane of the ribbbon.

"Flattening" this ribbon to get a 2D visualization is more complicated and we do not currently have an example for that. One possible solution is to use the ribbon surface as input to the ImageViz SoSurfaceUnfoldingProcessing3d engine. This engine samples a volume on and around a surface and creates a new volume that is effectively a flattening of the volume.
    Regards,
    Mike

Comment

Thanks for your reply, Mike.

I could successfully create the ribbon as your described. The second part, to "flat" the ribbon, I can't use SoSurfaceUnfoldingProcessing3d engine because we are using Open Inventor .NET package.

There is a way to do a transform in the geometry with some kind of projection?

Regards.

Comment

Working...
      X